Thursday, May 27, 2004

Go Speed Racer GO!!!!


Yes, I admit it. I'm an unashamed fan of the the 'Speed Racer' cartoon series. I remember watching it on TV when I was just a little tike. I introduced the series to my son by renting 'Speed Racer' videos from Blockbuster Video, and he loves them as much as I do. Now the first 23 episodes are available on two DVD's, and we quickly added them to our collection as soon as they came out. Even though the series orginally aired in 1967, it is still one of the most imaginative and fun cartoons I remember watching growing up. Of course, Speed is up-to-speed in the internet era, and has his own Flash! enabled website.

Another great cartoon series from that era is 'Jonny Quest,' the entire first season (26 episodes) is also available on DVD.

Slightly different from 'Speed Racer' and 'Jonny Quest' is Gerry Anderson's 'Thunderbirds' featuring VIDECOLOR and SUPERMARIONATION!!! It is another fantastic series from the mid 60's, but using puppets and highly detailed models rather than animation. We already have all six DVD box sets of the episodes. A live-action 'Thunderbirds' movie (using actors rather than puppets) is coming to theaters in the USA on July 30. Personally, I wish they had stuck with the puppets.

After nearly 40 years, there still hasn't been anything on television that compares with these intelligent, highly imaginative series from the 60's.

No comments: