Wednesday, October 13, 2004

The short but profound testimony of Abraham Lincoln

The Civil War battle of Gettysburg played a very important part in the lives of two famous American presidents: Abraham Lincoln and Dwight D. Eisenhower. But of the two, it may have had a more profound effect--spiritually speaking--on Lincoln.

Abraham Lincoln, throughout most of his life, was not a Christian though very familiar with the Bible and Christian principles. But when he visited the the battlefield of Gettysburg several months after the battle had taken place, a significant thing happened that caused him to dedicate his life to Christ. This is his short testimony:
"Shortly before Abraham Lincoln was murdered by John Wilkes Booth, an Illinois pastor asked President Lincoln, 'Do you love Jesus?' President Lincoln responded, 'When I left Springfield I asked the people to pray for me. I was not a Christian. When I buried my son, the severest trial of my life, I was not a Christian. But when I went to Gettysburg and saw the graves of thousands of our soldiers, I then and there gave my heart to Christ. I can now say I do love the Savior.' "

Source: The Iron Pen #60

No comments: