Sunday, August 20, 2006

Illinois Railway Museum

Last weekend I went to one of my favorite places: the Illinois Railway Museum in Union, Illinois. I wanted to give my year-old Kodak digital camera a good work out, so I took it along and took pictures of just about everything I saw!

The Illinois Railway Museum has hundreds of railroad cars, trollies, steam engines and diesel engines. They have have some weird stuff that you won't see anywhere else, like a huge locomotive powered by a gas turbine, and a "fireless" steam locomotive, amongst a host of other things.

They have an operating stretch of regular railroad track that is several miles long, and an operating trolley loop that's about a mile in length. If you're lucky, you might even get there on a day when the electric trolley buses are running! (But they weren't running the day I was there.)

Below are just a few pictures I took while I was there. While it may seem like there is a lot of equipment in these pictures, it is only a small fraction of the entire collection!

The Illinois Railway Museum is a wonderful place to visit, especially on a nice, quiet Sunday afternoon.

<>< TM


No comments: